If you had asked me two years ago what my life was going to look like, no way in a million years could I have even dreamt of describing to you the reality that I live today. International travel, speaking at events, working with clients from all over the world, inspiring and connecting with #girlbosses every day on social media and of course, all the freedom I can enjoy (totally writing this from a cafe right now #truestory). I could never have thought that so much opportunity, connection, success and happiness could have all started with nothing but a wifi connection, my Instagram account and an simple idea.
My name is Erin Henry, and I am an internet entrepreneur, or ‘Instapreneur’ as the latest buzz word goes. I run my online strategy coaching business from my laptop, the business and life that I enjoy today all started by just logging onto to a couple of platforms called Instagram and Youtube.
So how did all of this happen? Well, three years ago I got some advice when I was at Uni that if you want to be a successful entrepreneur these days, you need to build yourself an online presence. Knowing that entrepreneurship was the path for me (seriously corporate offices make me sad), I did exactly that.
I went home that night, logged online and started talking about the one thing that I felt was relevant at the time, The Kayla Itsines Bikini Body Guide. Fast forward about two years, I finished my degree and started my first business while I was still maintaining my #health Youtube channel and Instagram account.
That business was fine, my Instagram fitness presence was great, but after a while, I knew I needed something more. I needed to be making an impact, a more significant impact (and probably needed to use that business degree) - this is when business and coaching pretty much fell into my lap (well, fell onto my screen after stalking the likes of Tony Robbins and Marie Forleo).
I slowly started moving my content on YouTube from Fitness to Business and started a whole new Instagram account to show off my new ‘brand’. Even though I was totally terrified that my audience would ditch me through the change, the response I received was actually overwhelming, since stepping into my true passion of mindset and business I have seen stellar growth across the board. Once I picked something that I was truly passionate about, I was overwhelmed at how relatively easy it was to find other like-minded people through Instagram who were all keen to be their own bosses and share inspiring ideas. I now regularly get DMs from people who love the content I share, seeking advice, or want to connect with other Girl Bosses.
Across my Instagram, YouTube Channel and Facebook I have an awesome community of over 60,000 global Girl Bosses, and am planning international events and have a fully booked group coaching program, many of whom found me on Instagram.
My top tips for being a successful online teenpreneur.
- Always be authentic - I know authenticity is quickly becoming an overused word online, but I promise you, nothing will get you further online than being 100% your true self. You, babe, had like a one in four hundred trillion chance of being born, and in my books, that makes you pretty unique so don’t try to be someone that you're not.
- Network like crazy – There are 9 million active accounts on Instagram just in Australia and teens are among the most active on the platform, so there’s an extraordinary amount of opportunities to make new and lasting connections. I have made SO many friends online and have had so many opportunities because of it. Natasha, one of my business besties and I who met on Instagram, we now speak pretty much every day and have some exciting business projects coming up in 2018.
- Show up - having online business success is all about putting in the effort to show up for your customers, clients and audience. I love using Instagram Stories to take people on the journey through my every day, and really let people see the behind the scenes of my life and my business.
- Remember, age is just a number - So many of my clients fear that they are “too young” to start an online business. Babe, this is SO far from the truth. No matter what your birth certificate says, if you’re willing to follow your passion and put in the hard work, you can make anything happen.
- Have fun - Okay corny alert I know, but seriously, if it’s not fun, it’s not worth it!