1. The show was opened by Cardi B, who cheekily dressed up a Moon Man VMA award, making it look like she was breastfeeding. The rapper built the audience up by saying, “I got a little ticky, ticky surprise for y'all,” before revealing the ‘baby’ was an VMA award.
2. Madonna and Camila Cabello shared a tender moment, as Madge presented Cabillo with the Video of the Year Award for ‘Havana’. "I've seen every music video of yours,” gushed Cabello. “You've inspired me so much." After thanking her family, fans and friends she held up the award and said, "Honestly, I dedicate this to Madonna.”
3. Ariana Grande’s performance of ‘God Is a Woman’ was topped only by the fact her mum and grandma joined her on stage. Ariana later went on to win Best Pop Video for ‘No Tears Left To Cry’ thanking her fans and family for helping her and giving a special nod to her comedian fiancé saying, “Pete Davidson, thanks for existing.”
4. Cardi B was up again winning Best New Artist. Her award was presented by Stranger Things’ Millie Bobby Brown who impersonated the rapper’s catchphrase, “Okurrr” before handing over the trophy. Cardi’s response was a nod to all working mums, “A couple of months ago a lot of people were saying you're gambling your career, you're having a baby, what are you doing ... I carried a baby and I'm still winning awards. I want to thank all of my friends, my family that supported me.”
5. But the undeniable highlight of the night was JLo’s multi-costume, showstopping medley that proves she is more than worthy of the Michael Jackson Vanguard Award for lifetime achievement. “I grew up on MTV, and this is really a tremendous honour for me,” said the 49-year-old queen of pop.
“It has been an incredible journey of dreaming my wildest dreams and then kind of watching them come true. Music, acting, performing, this career has always been kind of an obsession for me.” Her parting words were for partner Alex Rodriguez who had filmed her entire performance, open-mouthed. “You're like my twin soul. We are like mirror images of each other ... There's so much more to experience and there's no one else I'd rather do that with.”