1. Shoulders back, ladies! Studies show a good posture does wonders for your confidence.
2. Replace every negative thought with two positive ones.
3. Wear a bright lipstick. Even if only for a day, this vivid pop of colour will add a spark that will make you not only look more confident, but you’ll feel it too.
4. Talk to someone you don’t know, like the girl you see, but ignore, at the bus stop every morning. Why not say hello? You may just make yourself a new friend.
5. Smile at people you pass on the street.
6. Be your own bestie. There is nothing better than hanging out with yours truly. Do the things you love and be happy spending time solo every now and then.
7. Be prepared in class. We promise your teachers didn’t pay us to say this. Being ready for each class will give you more confidence to participate. Knowing you can answer any question the teacher may throw at you will make you willing to confidently contribute.
8. Wash and blow-dry your hair. The feeling of clean hair can make all the difference to how you perceive yourself. A cleaner you will make for a more confident you.
9. Quit the trash talk. Banish words like can’t/won’t/never from your vocab. Why? Because you’re more awesome than you think.
10. Don’t just think positive, act positive. Being a positive influence will see your confidence rub off on those around you. And there’s nothing better than being a shiny, happy, confident girl.
11. Be more generous. Notice that fuzzy feeling inside when you give $2 to the dancing koala on the street? That’s your gut telling you “Well done!”, and this is an instant self-esteem booster – even if you can only afford to give loose change.
12. Have a go at volunteering. Giving up your time for others shows you’re compassionate and will make you feel much better about yourself.
13. Make a new friend. Each year, aim to make one new friend. By extending your friendship wings, you will see how easy it is to be a social butterfly.
14. Forget the past. Weren’t so popular last year? Had a terrible haircut in Year Six and still feeling embarrassed by it? Forget about it and move on! Each time a negative thought pops into your head, kick it back to the past where it belongs. And remember: You aren’t your past.
15. Remind yourself of how awesome you are every day! If you think about it, no-one is as good at being you as you are – and that’s definitely something to be confident about!
16. Have something to look forward to. Whether it’s the school dance, a family holiday or your next netball game, having something to look forward to will make you happier and give your esteem that little boost it sometimes needs.
17. Practise your small talk. If you can master the art of small talk in any situation, you’re already a winner.
18. Ditch technology. Having the willpower to stay offline for an hour a night will do more for your confidence than being on there for the same amount of time. Really – it’s a fact!
19. Banish negative people from your life. Negators hang around negators (that’s a fact!). If you feel your buddies are bringing you down with their negative attitudes, go in search of those positive peeps.
20. Be accepting of others. The nicer you are to the people in your life, the more they’ll respect you. When people value you as much as you do them, it’s an awesome feeling.
21. See the sun. Spending at least half an hour a day outdoors is a great way to put your life in perspective. Fresh air, the outdoors, and daydreaming… What could be better?