No expenses were spared when it came to making the new live-action Beauty and the Beast (wait until you hear how much Emma Watson got paid to play Belle!). But it's the creation of Belle's iconic yellow ball gown that has us well and truly woke about the man power that goes into something that magical.
Costume designer Jacqueline Durran told E! Online that it was no small feat and the look she wanted was modern, simple but while a WHOLE lot of of movement!
“We ended up creating a simple dress, because what was most important was the movement of the dress. It was a very soft structure built up by with meters and meters of silk organza dyed yellow and cut broadly in a circular shape, so that it emphasised her movement.”
But how long did it take? Prepare to be amazed... It took:
- 18 weeks for the team to get the dress ready before shooting even began.
- 12,000 hours to make from start to finish. HOURS!!! That's 500 days... that's OVER a year.
- 2,160 Swarovski Crystals were used to embellish the gown.
- 914 metres of thread for the whole shebang to be stitched. Yep, almost a freakin. kilometre!
- 54 metre of satin organza to create the layers and bodice... how heavy was this thing?!
Well we can certainly say they achieved perfection and their hard work paid off!