Once you have finished watching a downloaded episode, Netflix continues to download the next one and automatically deletes the one you just watched.
You will need to be connected to Wi-Fi to download the shows.
“The faster our members can get to the next episode of their favourite stories, the better. Now, fans on the Netflix iOS app can get in on the fun and convenience of Smart Downloads, spending less time managing their downloads and more time watching. The feature is one more way we’re making it easier for Netflix fans to take the stories they love wherever they go,” says a spokesperson for Netflix.
Here are examples of how it works:
- If a user has downloaded episode 1, 2 and 3, and watched episode 1, the app will download episode 4 and delete episode 1.
- If a member has downloaded episodes 3 through 9, and watches episode 2 and episode 5, the app will download episode 10 and 11, deleting episodes 2 and 5.
- If a member downloads the last two episodes available and watches them, the app does not delete them and does not download the earlier episodes.
- If a member has downloaded all available episodes and watches any of them, the app does not delete the watched episode.
- If a member has downloaded episodes 1-3, and watches episode 1, manually deleting episode 1 themselves, the app will auto-download episode 4