There is nothing we love more than when JK Rowling releases new Harry Potter writing. There's legit no detail too small, we want to know everything! Her latest piece on Pottermore is about the Potter family and their beginnings, and we've learnt SO much!
1. The Potters weren't included in ‘Sacred Twenty-Eight’, a list of pure-blood wizard families, because the name was thought to be too common and derived from muggles. #Rude
2. Harry's wizarding family came from the twelfth-century wizard Linfred of Stinchcombe. He was "a vague and absent-minded fellow" who helped muggles out with their medical problems (obvs they didn't realise it was magic). He liked to experiment and actually INVENTED a number of potions, including Skele-gro (which helped Harry after Lockhart removed his arm bones in The Chamber Of Secrets) and Pepperup Potion.
3. Linfred's ancestor, Fleamont Potter, quadrupled the now substantial families wealth by inventing Sleekeazy’s Hair Potion. Hermione used it to tame her mane for the Yule Ball. Fleamont is also Harry's grandfather and James Potter's dad! All these invented potions over generations are the reason Harry had a big old stack of galleons in Gringotts.
4. Harry wasn't the first Harry Potter! His ancestor Henry Potter went by Harry and sat on the Wizengamot from 1913 - 192. OG Harry caused a stir by campaigning for the wizard community to help muggles during World War I.
5. The invisibility cloak came into the fam when Hardwin Potter married Iolanthe Peverell, the eldest granddaughter of Ignotus. Thanks to there being no male heirs, she got the mysterious cloak and kept it secret, while passing it down to the oldest in each generation until it reached Harry.