FEMINISM: the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.
Throughout history, there has been much debate over what feminism means and sadly, some people get it so wrong (*sigh*).
As the above definition suggests, feminism is about men and women being treated EQUALLY by society, just like it should be.
To help explain what it is to be a feminist, journalist and author of GIRLISH: An empowering journal for the twenty-first century girl, Alana Wulff has compiled 10 reasons why being a feminist rules.
1. You get to spread the message that “boys being boys” is never an excuse for verbal, physical, sexual, or emotional abuse.
2. You get to call out disgusting behaviour that should not, and will not be tolerated. You’re also crushing the idea that opinionated girls are just being hormonal and hysterical, and opinionated boys are being forthright and powerful.
3. You get to smash the patriarchy every day, and remind the world that hating on women for not stopping men from doing bad things to other women is legit CRAZY.
4. You’re changing the world! As a feminist in the Trump era, you’re part of a revolution that won’t be stopped. Every girl in this world deserves the right to a safe environment, education, and equal pay in their chosen field of work. You’re helping to accomplish this!
5. You don’t ever have to apologise for your opinions, the clothes you wear, being loud, taking up space, or living a life true to your philosophies, and not anyone else’s.
6. You’ll have a super supportive crew in your life who are all happy to encourage, inspire, and motivate you to be the ‘you’ that YOU feel comfortable with. Best of all, you can feel proud of your accomplishments without worrying that you don’t actually deserve the praise. Imposter syndrome or mega self-doubt? Bye!
7. You’re helping to spread the belief that all human beings are equal, no matter where they come from, what their religion is, their sexuality, gender, or socioeconomic background.
8. You can fight for women’s rights and still enjoy makeup. The two aren’t exclusive! And anyone who says they are – is wrong. YOU DO YOU.
9. You get to encourage the idea that there is no limit to what you or your friends, mothers, aunts, or even grandmothers can achieve. You’re spreading the message that women matter just as much as men.
10. You’re setting an amazing example for younger girls who look up to you and your generation.
And finally, let’s not forget this little banger: There’s still a long way to go and you can help get us there.
In Australia, as of June 2017, there’s still a tax on tampons and pads because they’re considered luxury items! Oh, that’s right, because having your period is soooooo amazing.
Thanks for reminding us Mr. Politician who’s never had a period in his life. How could we forget?
Alana's ~*woke*~ new book GIRLISH: An empowering journal for the twenty-first century girl is out RN!
Head to your local Dymocks, BIG W, or any other independent bookstore or newsagent to pick up a copy for yourself or your feminist pals.