by Sarah, Girlfriend Editor
| Feb 11, 2014
Coz cute hair styles can happen, even after hitting snooze.
You told yourself you’d get up early and wash it.
You even set your alarm. But, see, your alarm is on your phone and your phone has Instagram on it, and the cute animals on Insta are just way more exciting than the shower… And then BAM! An hour passes, and you’re late
. For the third day in a row.
Ladies, I totally get it. As founder of the I hate washing my hair club
, finding ways to get just one more day out of my hair is always a top priority. And I have to say, I’ve become quite good at it. In the five years I spent on the beauty desk, I mastered the art of the dirty hairdo
. What can I say? I like to push the boundaries. And I took great pleasure in the compliments from peeps who liked my style on the days when it really should’ve been washed. I was smugly high-fiving myself for such great hair deception. Which is why I wanted to share with you guys. Coz who doesn’t love a smug hair secret, right?! Behold! The dirty hairdos.
1. The front braid.
I truly believe everyone can learn how to braid. And I believe this because I taught myself, and basically if I can do it, a three-year-old could do it – and with more skill. So here goes:
- Deep side-part your hair and pick up a small section of it with your thumb that sections back towards the crown of the head.
Front braid: Step 1
- Divide that section into three equal pieces, as you would a plait.
Front braid: Step 2
- Like a plait, take the section closest to your forehead and weave over the top of the middle piece. Then take the section closest to the back of your head and weave that over the middle piece.
Front braid: Step 3
- Next, take a small 1cm x 1cm section from the hair remaining at the front, and join that to the front section. Weave those combined pieces over the top of the middle piece. Repeat on the other side.
Front braid: Step 4
- Continue this pattern until you reach the top of the ear, and then plait the rest of the tail without including new pieces. Secure at the back of your head with bobby pins. EASY!
Front Braid: the final look
2. The do-rag 'do.
How amazing are bandanas
? They can make you look gun-slingin' country or badass rapper and even '50s pin-up chic. Yeah versatility! Anyway, this look is ridiculously easy.
Do-rag: Step 1
- Fold your bandana diagonally in half.
Do-rag: Step 2
- Fold the point inwards, to the folded half.
Do-rag: Step 3
- Fold three more times until it resembles a skinny scarf.
Do-rag: Step 4
- Put hair up into messy bun. Fix with bobby pins, but don’t spend too much time on it – the key is “thrown together” messiness.
- Wrap bandana around your head and tie in a knot at the front, just past your hair line.
Marvel at your cuteness. And the fact that it took, like, three minutes. More Instagram for you!
3. Messy beachy waves
Here’s a secret about undone hair. It actually needs to be done. No-one ever just woke up like that. Unless you’re Bellatrix Lestrange
, then you just woke up looking like that hot mess. So first things' first, if you don’t have naturally wavy hair you can’t get this look naturally. But you CAN cheat!
- Spray sea salt spray
through mid lengths and ends.
- Use a scrunching motion
to scrunch big sections of hair so it creates a wave.
- Then, if you have straight hair (like me) you’ll need a curling tong
around 25cm wide. Grab random sections of hair and wrap around the outside of the wand, leaving the ends free. Hold the hair at the tip around the wand for a few seconds. Drop. Repeat.
- Don’t do this for all of your hair – just around 3 sections of varying sizes on each side. Curling all over will look too done, and the idea is for it to be haphazard
- Once the hair is cool, separate with fingers.
- Look in mirror and give yourself a wink. Yeah, you’re hot.
Told you they were easy.
But also, if you're prone to a bit of non-washing, you really need some dry shampoo
in your life. I have like 10 because I’m terrified of what running out will mean for me. Never used one? Get on board! It’s a magical spray that not only breathes new life (and an extra non-washing day) into your hair, but it also adds volume
. Blonde girls can use the original, but brunettes might like to try a coloured variant so hair doesn’t appear chalky.
And y’know, if all else fails… just wash it. You’re worth it.
Q: Got a sneaky beauty trick you love to use? Or maybe there’s something you want to know how to do? Share with us!